Take it from this firefighter…

In Uncategorized on March 20, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Take it from this firefighter…never leave anything unattended on the stove top. This story dates back to May 7, 2010 but remains a good reminder for pet parents

The full text seems to be overlapped by video so here it is:

DAVE STATTER – WUSA/STATter911 – Reprinted with Permission

FRANCONIA, Va. (WUSA) — Glenn Ross was about to sit down to dinner at Alexandria Fire Department Station 206 Tuesday evening when he heard a familiar address come across the radio. Other Alexandria and Fairfax County stations were dispatched to a report of a house fire at the firefighter’s Franconia home.

There were lots of thoughts going through the mind of Glenn Ross, the most important being that he had to get home. Battalion Chief Joe Hoffmaster decided the safest way to get him there was aboard Engine 206.

Discovering that his wife was at not home, Firefighter Ross then thought about his two dogs who spend the day in the kitchen. When he pulled up, Sparky and Brownie were on a neighbor’s lawn, unconscious. They were wearing pet oxygen masks and being treated by Fairfax County paramedics. Firefighters found the dogs under a table in the burning kitchen.

The kitchen is gutted and the Ross home has significant smoke and water damage.

Investigators believe the fire started because of a box left on the stove top ignited. What was in that container leaves a big clue into the leading theory of how this blaze began. It was a box of dog biscuits.
Glenn Ross believes that one of the dogs, most likely Sparky, jumped up trying to get the treats and accidentally turned on a burner.

Dr. Katy Nelson at Alexandria Animal Hospital and Veterinary Emergency Service is treating both Brownie and Sparky for smoke inhalation and corneal burns. Dr. Nelson says both dogs are recovering nicely.

Dr. Nelson agrees with Firefighter Ross. In her professional opinion, the fire starter is clearly the always hungry Sparky, a beagle. Ross says the hero of the day is a five-year-old neighbor who saw smoke coming from the home while playing outside. The boy ran in to get his grandparents who called 9-1-1. The early call apparently meant the difference between life and death for Sparky and Brownie.

Ross says the lesson learned is one that is basic in his business: Never leave anything combustible on or near the stove.

Written by Dave Statter – 9NEWS NOW –

FACTOID: Watching the video again made us realize that Dr Katy Nelson now has her TV Show on NewsChannel8 in the DC area


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: